*Editor’s note: I wrote this before reading SMOs entry. Demonstration of brain sharing when you spend an inordinate amount of time with someone. Also note how she “dabbles in parenting.”
I sat down to start writing this “7 things of 2017” post and had a little hissy-fit. I thought these fine women (Hailey, Erin, Jen, Elizabeth, Laurel, Caitlin and Christine) were asking me to set some inconsequential goals for the year that will, apparently, change my life and make my digestive acoustics smell like crisp ocean air. I then thought I should write my usual satirical take on life changing ticks of the clock, but it’s just too easy. Have we learned nothing since 1999? When a computer reaches 1999, it logically ticks over to 2000. It doesn’t blow up. It just carries on counting. So why do we think our entire lives can change with one change of number at the end of your cheque book? If you still have a cheque book that is. Maybe your landlord lives in the 21st century age of e-transfer.
Then Hailey posted her 7 things and I realized it can just be things we are looking forward too. Ding! I can do that. So here they are: 7 things I’m looking forward to in 2017.
- Fitness. Hello? Is it me you’re looking for? The one things I can say about being really really out of shape is that there’s no way to go but up. Lately, I’ve come home from runs with a smile on my face and a bounce in my step. There’s still a long way to go, but I’m getting to be ok with that. When I do get fit, I’m gonna be that super annoying person that thinks the whole world needs to see her abs on social media. OK, maybe I won’t. That really is the worst.
- Numbers. I like numbers. Numbers don’t lie and they, in certain context, can tell a story. I want to use my love of numbers to make confidence decisions about what my athletes are doing for training. I do already, I just want to do it more and do it better. I also want to use my numbers to make decisions about what I’m doing with my own training. I’m self-coached, due to budget constraints, and I can do better at coaching myself. New power meter. New Heart rate monitor. No more excuses.
- Trips. Two trips are already planned. The usual trip to Maui with the family and a race trip to Coeur D’Alene for the 70.3. Nowhere new, but at least it’s getting out of town. Hopefully, some others added to the list before the end of the year pending my tethered small friend and his ability to eat without mum.
- Timing Chips. I didn’t wear a timing chip at all in 2016. 2017 holds more timing chips, race bibs, startlines and (hopefully) finish lines.
- Ocho. I’ll explain another time, but I’m really excited about this one.
- Mountains. I miss adventures with my friends. In 2015, it was trail runs up mountains, epic 200k bike rides, skate skiing, skiing. I want to get back to a level of fitness where I can confidently head out the door with my friends and seek adventures. This is no laughable feat; my friends are really fit.
- Oceans. In 2016, I swam in the ocean once. It was the day before Elliot arrived. I stepped on a boat once. I miss the ocean and the adventures with my husband. He likes boats. He builds boats; you should buy one. I want adventures on the ocean with all my boys.
So there you go; 7 things that, hopefully, don’t sounds too “resolutiony.”